HOLY WEEK 2021
16 Mar 2021
In lieu of this year’s annual Easter Retreat, the Monastic Community at Downside Abbey have organised the following timetable for Holy Week, including online, virtual elements to ensure the whole Downside Community can partake.
THE EASTER TIMETABLE
All the services of the Holy Week Liturgy will be celebrated in the Abbey Church as follows:
- 1st April, Maundy Thursday
6.00pm Mass of the Lord’s Supper
- 2nd April, Good Friday
3.00pm Friday of the Passion of the Lord
- 3rd April, Holy Saturday
8.00pm The Easter Vigil in the Holy Night
- 4th April, Easter Day
9.30am Mass during the Day (combined with the Mass of the Monastic Community)
11.00am Mass during the Day
Booking essential – Please book your place by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include which Services you want to attend and the names of everyone in your party. The maximum for a bubble is six. Your request will be confirmed by email and a ticket sent to you.
VIRTUAL ACTIVITIES FOR HOLY WEEK
- Good Friday: Online Reconciliation and adoration of the relic of the True Cross, 8.00 pm.
Please note, we cannot offer sacramental absolution, but there will be an opportunity for an examination of conscience, an act of contrition, and a prayer of blessing before a time of adoration of Downside’s relic of the True Cross. Service led by: Dom Michael and Dom Leo.
- Holy Saturday: Conference, 11.00am ‘From Darkness to Light – a journey through the Triduum in a time of pandemic’, by Fr John Tabor (C91), Priest of The Diocese of Westminster.
An opportunity for questions with Fr John and Dom Leo will follow.
Online Healing Service at 2.00pm led by Dom Michael.
Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/98272555256?pwd=VVJEMzhId0dYcHhkMXg1L2E4YU5xUT09
Meeting ID: 982 7255 5256
FURTHER RESOURCES FOR HOLY WEEK
Although we are delighted to be able to celebrate the Liturgy of the Triduum publicly in the Abbey Church, it will not be possible this year to celebrate the Liturgy of the Hours publicly. We are therefore, pleased to announce that The Weave of Manquehue Prayer are offering the following resources that will help us to pray together before, during and after the Triduum. Click here for further information.
- Saturday 27th March at 6.00pm Join a streamed Vespers that will include an exhortation to mark the beginning of Holy Week.
- During the Triduum, you can join the Liturgy of the Hours on Discord, celebrated by a group of young people from The Weave of Manquehue Prayer.
- Holy Week Booklet – available to order here from 15th March to arrive before Holy Week. The booklet will include: Times of the Liturgy of the Hours on Discord, a brief guide to the Liturgy of each day, a Lectio Divina activity for each day, an activity for local groups or families for each day and an invitation to an online Celebration of the Word at 6.00pm on Saturday within the Octave of Easter, 10th April.