Ornate and Beautiful Exhibition Ends
This week items from the Downside Abbey vestment collections have been returned to us after the extremely successful Ornate and Beautiful exhibition at the Bishop’s Palace, Wells ended.
It has been a pleasure to allow our collections to be used for this exhibition and for so many people to have seen them and marvelled at the beauty of these vestments, and the work which went into them.
Here we are sharing some comments of visitors to the exhibition which ran from April until August.
- Excellent exhibition! My congratulations to Downside and the Bishop’s Palace. Wonderful to see these treasures on display
- Thank you for this chance to see these beautiful vestments and learn a little more about our forgotten past
- What amazing treasures they have at Downside Abbey. The Book of Hours is just stunning!
- What wonderful needlecraft. Such patience required to produce such striking garments
- A particular privilege to see examples of Opus Anglicanum – amazingly fine embroidery – in wonderful condition. Thank you
- Wonderful exhibition. Lovely to see such treasures so beautifully cherished
- The work by the Sisters of the Poor Child (of the various saints) took our breath away and beautiful beyond words
- Wonderful exhibition. The craftsmanship, skill and sheer time taken to create these exhibits is extraordinary
- Wonderful collection of ecclesiastical garments from various centuries. A rare treat!
We must also include the comments of Sue Perkins of The Great British Bake Off, who tweeted “BTW, if you’re west over the next few weeks, there is a CRACKING exhibition @TheBishops_Palace in Wells x”
Our thanks to The Bishop’s Palace for putting on the display and exhibiting our wonderful collections.