Applying to Oxbridge
Downside provides outstanding guidance and support for pupils applying to Oxford and Cambridge as well as Ivy League and other international universities. We endeavor to ensure that each pupil is as fully prepared for the application process as possible.
Oxford and Cambridge UCAS Applications
We have a dedicated member of staff, Mr Richard Rawlins – Head of Careers and UCAS. His role is to give our pupils the best preparation possible for their university applications. In addition to the Academic Enrichment Programme, which is open to all pupils, we also provide a tailored support and guidance programme, and there is a strict timetable of deadlines which all pupils are clear on to make the process focussed and well managed.
- All pupils have a weekly meeting with their subject mentor. They engage in intellectual conversation on topical issues, and the mentor will also provide pertinent advice about the application process, including their personal statement and choice of college, as well directing pupils towards relevant wider reading.
- Mock Admissions Tests with analysis and guidance. There are a range of admissions tests, examples of which include the ELAT (English Literature Admissions Test), BMAT (BioMedical Admissions Tests) and TSA (Thinking Skills Assessment).
- Preparation of marked work for submission.
- Provision of qualified and experienced tutors for specific areas e.g. Oriental Languages, Earth Sciences, Biological Sciences.
- Mock Interviews with suitably qualified and experienced individuals invited in.
- There is a plethora of academic societies, including one in each subject, which help pupils to develop an intellectual curiosity about their learning; events include talks by outside speakers, special events, trips, conferences and group discussions. Pupils are expected to attend academic society events.