Scholarships & Bursaries
Downside School offers a number of scholarships for pupils hoping to join the School at the principal ages of entry of 11+, 13+ and 16+. For families who may struggle to meet the full fee payment there is the option to apply for a means-tested bursary and you can apply for this regardless of whether your child is eligible for a scholarship.
Scholarships at Downside
The bestowal of any award carries with it privilege and responsibility. Every award holder is expected to set an example for other pupils in their approach to academic study and participation in the fuller life of the School. The tenure of any award is intended to be for the duration of a holder’s education at Downside, provided that the holder’s academic progress and general conduct remain satisfactory. Awards are reviewed annually.
You will find a list of awards available alongside the relevant application forms and deadlines listed below. If you have any questions during the application process please feel free to contact us at any stage.
Scholarship Awards Available
- Academic Scholarships and Exhibitions 11+ / 13+ / 16+
- All-Rounder Scholarship 13+
- Art Scholarships and Exhibitions 13+ / 16+
- Choral Exhibitions 11+ / 13+ / 16+
- Music Scholarships and Exhibitions 11+ / 13+ / 16+
- Product Design Award 13+ / 16+
- Sports Scholarships and Exhibitions 11+ / 13+ / 16+
- Click here to learn more about the range of scholarships available at Downside (at ages 11+, 13+, 16+).
Bursaries at Downside
We understand that there are children who wish to attend Downside but whose parents are unable to fully afford the fee costs.
Bursaries are means-tested and are available to pupils entering the School at all age levels. Bursaries can also be awarded to parents of current Downside pupils whose financial circumstances may have changed unexpectedly.
Bursary application forms can be obtained from the Registrar. All applications are treated in the strictest confidence. The Bursary application closure deadline is the end of December for entry the following academic year.
Please click below to download further information and the relevant application form:
- Click here for the Scholarship Booklet (for 2018 entry)
- Click here for Scholarship Dates (for 2018 entry)