Food at Downside
Downside aims to provide its pupils with a nutritionally sound and balanced diet that is varied, appealing and sustainably sourced.
We are delighted to partner with award-winning caterers Holroyd Howe to deliver a complete service for our pupils. There are always vegetarian/vegan options as well as meat and fish dishes from the hot counters, a salad bar and fresh fruit. Individual dietary requests are catered for by arrangement. Pupils are encouraged to submit ideas to the Catering Manager and sensible suggestions are taken up, with suggestions also discussed by the pupil-led School Council.
COVID-19 CHANGES TO CATERING AT DOWNSIDE
At Downside the safety of our pupils, staff, catering team and the wider school community is our number-one priority. From the start of the new academic year there have been some changes to the kitchen and service to ensure that everyone can eat safely every day.
1. Our Food Offer
Fresh, seasonal and nutritious foods are still available every day, and we have taken great care to ensure this is not impacted. During these times we have had to alter some of our usual offering to keep everyone safe.
Some of the changes that pupils may see:
- All pupils sit at year group tables, with the same tables used every time and the same time slot for hot food through the Servery.
- More ‘family service’ at breakfast for year group bubbles where cereals, juice, milk, hot chocolate and fresh fruit pots are available on the year group table. Hot breakfast, breads, individually portioned yoghurts and overnight oat pots are available from the Servery. This allows pupils to arrive early if they would like and have cereal, etc. whilst waiting for their time slot to go through the Servery.
- Food is served on plates and passed to pupils to take rather than the previous self-help arrangement. We are encouraging pupils to ask for larger portions if they would like a little more.
- Pupils are only able to come through the Servery once so that we can accommodate different year bubbles. We are encouraging them to ask for more at the time they pass through to ensure they have enough.
- The removal of self-help areas in the Ref, e.g. soup stations and salad bars. Instead, these will be served in individual bowls and served by a member of the catering team.
- Protein pots and extras such as salad toppings are served in small jars or pots as add-ons to meal – rather than previously helping themselves.
- New ways of serving our creative food innovations – one-pot meals and salad shakers.
- The removal of communal drinks stations – pupils now bring their own water bottles to mealtimes.
2. Health & Safety
Our catering team will not attend work if they have COVID-19 related symptoms. All team members will wash their hands thoroughly and more regularly, they will not touch their face and they will wear a clean uniform every day. Catering staff will stay socially distanced from pupils, colleagues and school staff. Contact points in the catering areas (kitchens, Ref, Servery, etc.) will be cleaned more regularly.