Our philosophy for our high performance players and coaches is based on a positive mental attitude and exceptional work ethic, and this is expected from all pupils participating in Sport and Physical Education at Downside.
Our aim is to coach the whole child to ensure that they find a sport in which they can participate, excel and learn the values of being part of a team, so important in later life.
Discipline | Honesty | Stewardship
Downside School believes that physical activity plays an important role in your child’s development. Sport for All is a central part of the school’s philosophy as is the desire for every pupil to enjoy physical activity and achieve their own personal best. Whilst our curriculum distinguishes between Physical Education and Sport, the notion of excellence permeates throughout.
Our objectives are:
- To promote enjoyment and a sense of achievement
- To develop communication, cooperation and teamwork through interaction with others,
- To encourage good health and fitness, educating pupils in the benefits of a healthy active lifestyle,
- To give opportunities for participation as a performer, a leader or an official
- To encourage engagement in extra-curricular activities and represent school teams.
Mr Richard Jones, BA
Director of Sport